Skip to main content

Curious how the rest of you handle this situation:

Business in your territory that you don't know and have never done business with emails you requesting a quote for an MFP and gives you the basic specs they are after. You follow up to try and set an appointment to do a site survey and to meet with the person to determine their needs and go over the appropriate configuration so you can come up with an accurate quote. The prospect refuses to meet with you and tells you to just email the quote on what they asked for in the original email.

Curious how others handle this situation which seems to be happening more and more.

Do you walk away if you get the feeling they don't want to do business with you and are just going thru the motions of getting multiple quotes?

Do you take a shot and send over a lowball quote on the cheepest configuration you can come up with that might fit the requirements in their original email?

Do you take a shot and send back a quote at full MSRP on what might be the right gear given the specs you were given?

Do you send a middle of the road quote?

My gut tells me to move on if the prospect refuses to meet with me. Obviously they are already dealing with someone else and if they won't meet with me they probably have no intention of giving me a real shot at earning their business. But then again in this increasingly email driven world world could this be a legitimate opportunity?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have probably done each of these options at some point in time...well except the quote at retail. I wouldn't want the perception to be that we had outrageous pricing.

If the machine was entry level with a company that had little additional potential, I would respond with something like "a Doctor who prescribes without seeing the patient would lose his license and you take your job just as seriously."
If it is a business that I would like to penetrate I would low-ball it and include nothing they didn't specify. If they ask for three paper sources, one of mine would be the by-pass. If they didn't ask for a cabinet, I wouldn't include it. My goal would be just to make it to first base (an audience). Once I get to first, my goal would be to make it to second base and I would trust my experience and ability to get me there. If nothing else, you may help to eliminate any profit the chosen vendor gets out of the deal. I am about to get on my soap box on a tangent but instead I think I will start a new thread...I'll call it "Should you ever sell something for nothing?"
This is a very good question Fisher. You are right this is becoming more common as prospects do not want a sales pitch they just want facts & numbers. Then you give them for what they ask. They really don't care about a solution they want the bottom line. Many of those places will give you ONE shot only so you better come in with some good numbers since you will not have a 2nd chance. Otherwise it comes down to a price war then you really lose because the last person they talk with in the game usually wins.

At most I would put 1K profit into the system to make it worth my time. However there have been other times that I was up against 5 others and it was a nonprofit and I knew if I wanted the deal I would have to do it for nothing. I got the deal then the company at least spiffed me $100 for all my time and effort.

This happened to a colleague of mine just recently and it was a law firm. Those people do not mess around. They gave them want they asked for in the specs. Weeks went by then they tried a demo. But during the install I got the impression they were not shopping around which I was shocked to hear. I did their full install and we walked away with the deal.

The moral is you just never know who is on the other end and how they would respond so it never hurts to give the prospect exactly what they want then be quiet.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.