Skip to main content

I think it is a mistake for reps to feel like they need to make money on every deal or they won't do the deal. Every month or two there is a sale that I make that I don't make a dime. It may be a charity I believe in. It may be an account I want to penetrate. I may give up my GP by throwing in a printer in the hope that I get future printer business. There are any number of reasons but it happens pretty regularly.

Let me preface my next statement by saying that I have been known as somewhat of a terrorist when it comes to traditional thought.

Here it comes...We are not paid to sell stuff, to do the paperwork I mean. It has to be done and we only get paid when we do. It is when we are paid but if that was all there was, we would have to say then that we get paid nothing for customer service and we get paid nothing to cold call, and we get paid nothing to handle incorrect invoices, etc. When a tech suggests that he deserves part of my commission because the sale was a slam dunk thanks to him I ask him if I deserve part of his paycheck every time I am able to clear a misfeed or in some other way eliminate a service call? That would be ludicrous but so should the notion that we are only paid "because of" the deal. Don't get me wrong, I hand out a lot of gift cards and buy a lot of lunches for techs and support staff but seldom is it because of any one deal.

We are not paid to make a sale...WE ARE PAID TO SERVE AND GROW THE TERRITORY. What we are paid is based on how good a job we do. I understand that is quantified by the sales that we make and our income is directly related to the amount of those sales but that is really not what it is about. Those that do nothing that they aren't directly paid for will sooner or later fail or get fired. 30 years in this business has paid me a lot of money, allowed for a stay-at-home wife, private school for my kids, 5 figure charitable donations every year... However, I contend that the sales I didn't make a dime on were as important as the ones that paid well. As Zig Ziglar says, "You can get anything you want in life if you just help enough other people get what they want."

That's my word, what's yours?

"You can get anything you want in life if you just help enough other people get what they want."  Zig Ziglar

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm kind of goint the other direction on this one. I've done a number of deals over the years with little to no profit in them hoping that it would build the seed for future business. Truth is once you give it away the first time you rarely ever get the chance to build more profit into the account. I can think of accounts where I am now on the second and third refresh of their gear and I still can't get any profit in the account because there was no profit in the prior deals. More and more I am trying to keep profit in my quotes. Lessons learned.
I wasn't really considering the one-and-done deals. However, in this day and age where we have printers and document management as well, even the smaller companies may have additional revenue opportunities in them. But for the most part, I was referring to accounts that have future opportunity beyond just the replacement of the machine you sold 3 years ago.
I am just about....37 yrs young. Started with in 1993, SR year of high school part time servicing printers.

After 2yrs of serving printers, married for 1 yr to my high school sweetheart I was envious of all the "copier reps" driving nice BMW's etc...I asked if I could start selling.

When I first started selling in 1995 we carried Canon/Mita. I had an uncle who sold copiers and typewriters back in the early 70's and managed a large dealership in CA until his retirement in 1990. When I went to his home to tell him the exciting, but very scary news, he told me I needed to remember and DO 3 VERY important things for the first FIVE (5) yrs. He warned me that if I did like or got bad habits like so many other reps out there, I would NOT succeed and within 1-1.5yrs I would be looking for another job. He wrote these down and explained:

1) Know your product like no other, tell NO LIES to your new clients and visit these clients TWICE A MONTH to let them know you care and to see if any issue(s) needed addressed.
2) Sell it even if it makes you NO $$$ and DO NOT upgrade them for these first 5yrs, unless the machines dead, or their adding equipment.
3) Stay with the company if they respect you, support your ideas and listen to ALL their staff.

For the next 5yrs and 6 months I hadn't been able to talk to him for he moved back east and got Cancer of throat. We did talk through letters about twice a year. After he passed away, my dad came to me and gave me a letter my uncle Mike had written me 6 months before he died, and it said this:

Jeremy, blah blah.......... and at the end he said "I hope you remembered and DID the 3 things I told you to do 5yrs ago. I'm sure its been hard living on such little $$$ but now I have just 2 more things to tell you to do. If you do these 2 things, I PROMISE in within 2yrs you will be making more $$$ than you ever dreamed.
1) Continue to LIVE by what I said to you over 5yrs ago
2) Go and upgrade every customer you sold to over the last 5yrs and quote 150% + over retail. DO NOT DISCOUNT to meet competition's price. Your clients more than likely won't even shop.

It's been over 11yrs since he has left us and he was so right. Yes things have drastically changed in our industry and we all have adapted. I am truly blessed to say with the many yrs I have put in this, we are here:

We recently built a 6000+SF home outside Portland Oregon on 20+ acres, an average income the last 2yrs of $3XX,XXX that most reps "hear" about but never achieve because THEY GIVE UP...I truly have a BLESSED life with my SAME wife and 5 beautiful children (all under 14rs)including our daughter Maddy who passed away just a few yrs ago...

And through this all I am buying out the "original owner, president" later this year and my wife and I have dreams of bigger and better things in order to "give back" including helping build or buy homes for troubled / addicted youth, which my wife has volunteered for so many years.

Now for the newer guys out on the street, its hard, Really hard but it can be done, if you stick to it, don't give up and..."work SMARTER...NOT harder". Sorry this was a bit long! Smile

muleyman
Last edited by muleyman
You'd never know it but this thread is over a year old. I always like coming back to this thread to put things in perspective.

I too have given systems away at no profit and in a couple instances lost money on a particular deal to penetrate the accoount. That account stayed with me for many years and probably was good for 20-30 units over time.

It's more about what you build, it seems we're always building new accounts, for whithout new accounts we would see our commissions, and sales dwindle through attrition.

I don't mind giving good deals to non profits, but I do mind NOT making any money because of poor salesmanship by others and my own mistakes (I need no help with that).

Would like to read more from others, anyone else care to chime in on this awesome thread?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.