Skip to main content

This is the time of year when 90% of us set goals and make New Year’s resolutions. And only 15% actually KEEP these resolutions. There is one way to make sure your goals are accomplished. A five-word quote by Peter Drucker sums it all up.

Peter Drucker has been hailed in the United States and abroad as “The Father of Modern Management” and “The Grandfather of Marketing.” In 1997, he was featured on the cover of Forbes magazine under the headline, "Still the Youngest Mind," and BusinessWeek has called him "the most enduring management thinker of our time."

Peter Drucker was born in 1909 in Vienna and was educated there and in England. He took his doctorate in public and international law while working as a newspaper reporter in Frankfurt, Germany. He then worked as an economist for an international bank in London. Drucker came to the United States in 1937. He began his teaching career as professor of politics and philosophy at Bennington College; for more than twenty years he was professor of management at the Graduate Business School of New York University.

The recipient of many awards and honorary degrees, Drucker has, since 1971, been Professor of Social Sciences at Claremont Graduate University. Its Graduate Management School was named after him in 1984.

Some people say Peter Drucker has forgotten more than most people ever knew about leadership and management. He consistently brings clarity and simplicity to an increasingly complex world.

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions
Peter Drucker has one of those rare minds that can express profound thoughts in simple words. If you think – every day - about this five-word quote by Peter Drucker, you are more likely than not to accomplish your goals:

* * “Don’t confuse motion with productivity.”
Do you ever see people in your office that look busy and act busy, but aren’t really accomplishing much?

Are there days when you find yourself very busy, but at the end of the day you haven’t crossed off every item on your “To-Do” list?

Your “Things To Do” list can literally be cut in half if you ask yourself this question:

* * “Is what I’m thinking, feeling, believing – or the action I’m taking, moving me closer to, or further away from what I want to accomplish?”
If you can answer “yes” to this question every time you ask, then you are right on target to reach your goals and keep your New Year’s resolutions.

Happy New Year!

Ann Barr is a consultant and sales trainer who presents sales seminars in the U.S. and Canada. RS&R readers can get a complimentary e-mailed copy of her report “64 Ways to Increase Your Sales” by subscribing toAnn’s free e-mailed “Weekly Sales Tips.” E-mail your name to:annbarr@sellingsupplies.com with “Join” in the subject line or visit Ann’s website at www.sellingsupplies.com.
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.